Aligning models to physical space in Fologram

If you’re new to Fologram, you may have spent a while trying to position your model with the physical space of your room only to accidentally lose tracking and have to repeat the process all over again. This is tedious and avoidable! If you have access to an A4 printer, you can generate placement QR codes in Fologram that can be physically fixed in space and used to precisely and repeatably place and orient your models in mixed reality.

In the Digital Futures workshop, we will discuss how to align our models to physical space with Placement QR code markers. Please download the following example files in preparation:

Read our quick guide on how to accurately align models to physical space here.

Hi all,

There was an issue with the QR code pdf file previously uploaded, I’ve changed it to an updated version so it should be working now.

Hey Sean,

Hope you are well.

Post the workshop I have tried doing a couple of experiments with a Jenga Block wall using the QR Code as a reference in my physical space to align the model. However, I keep noticing the incremental movements of the block placement markers in my physical space. Tried solving the issue by keeping the phone fixed on a tripod and re-aligning the QR - code A4 print to a more suitably lit region but faced the same problem.

Would love to solve this with your help.

Thanks & Best,
Zaheed Lokhandwala

1 Like

Hi Zaheed,

Images look great! I guess the movements you’re experiencing are to do with the mobile phone’s tracking abilities (which relies on one camera), which are significantly less accurate than a HoloLens device (multiple cameras & depth perception for the user). The best advice I could give would be the following:

• Keep your camera stationary on a tripod (which it sounds like you’re doing)
  • Keep the QR code in the camera’s view and constantly re-align (perhaps after each brick is placed even!)
  • Try to keep your arm/body away from blocking the camera, as this could have an affect on the tracking (maybe try and assemble from the opposite side of the camera)

These are all measures that might help limit the movements you’re experiencing, however they most likely son’t solve all your issues. It would be great if you were able to get access to a HoloLens to try out Fologram with a headset as the fabrication experience is completely different. Let me know if any of the above helps!

1 Like

Hey Sean,

Thank you for your reply. Will try the process again keeping in mind your suggestions. Will upload pictures soon.
I will hopefully invest in a HoloLens too in the near future. Would love to give it a try on a 1:1 scale project.

Thank you for your time!
Zaheed Lokhandwala

Hi @Sean,
For a letter-sized printer, is there a universal Origin QR that I can use? I noticed this one is A4 and assumed that would matter. I am teaching a class that is using Fologram, and since my students are generally learning remotely, I’d like them to be able to print out one marker that they can use universally.

Thanks!

Hi @erb02. Here’s an origin marker at Letter size: QR-OriginLetter.pdf (102.5 KB)

Just for future reference, you can make your own QR codes in Rhino with the FologramQR command. This gives you control over the location, orientation and size of your QR code. Hope that helps!

Thanks! Yes, we’ve been talking about the FologramQR command, but many of these students don’t have a printer at home (where they’re studying now), so I wanted to get them a file they’d only have to print out once.

1 Like