Augmented Reality in Landscape Architecture

I’m a landscape architecture instructor and have begun to focus some of my research in communicating the intangible benefits of outdoor space (landscape performance) and have found augmented reality to be a great tool to do so. Very much in the preliminary draft phase of some projects but wanted to showcase some of the unique ways we’re incorporating the Fologram app and grasshopper plugin as part of our workflow. Would love to get your feedback and thoughts on our pilot projects!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iLzclS6TaTEEzxCKehlmfeeKwAjduD09/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14tcl_RqZACP61tSQviPeCckkcWPq51XX/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

@pzawarus welcome to the Fologram Community forum! These are awesome experiments, in particular the AR overlay on the scanned dirt - the updating data interfaces are really fantastic. Have you thought about perhaps incorporating simulations into your analysis (eg. rainfall simulations), or even a step further, using the Aruco marker trees on top of the mound, and simulating rainfall flow affect on plantation?

Thank you for your kind comments, Sean! These are some great suggestions! I have thought about going as far as simulating drainage lines but have not considered doing rainfall which sounds very intriguing! Any suggestions for going about that? I have thought about using the Aruco marker trees on the sand for some of my next iterations. One thing I’m interested in showcasing with that is a form of erosion control by various ground cover scenarios, in which one of those could be the Aruco trees. I’ll certainly keep you up to date with that!

Hi @pzawarus, not a problem! In terms of simulating rainfall on a topology, you’d just want to create a simple loop with the following behaviour:

• Populate points on topology
  • Move points down in the Z axis
  • Find the closest point to the topology
  • Repeat

This will move points in a downward direction along your mesh topology. I’ve created an example for you here using Fologram’s global variables to create the loop (you could also use anemone with the same logic however): Rainfall Simulation.gh (146.0 KB)

Of course, if you wanted to take this a step further, you could try and visualize the rainfall using the Chromodoris plugin:

File here: Rainfall Simulation_Chromodoris.gh (147.3 KB)