If you’re having trouble connecting Fologram on your mobile or mixed reality device to Fologram for Rhino, we need to first establish whether it’s a network connectivity issue or a permissions issue. Any or all of the following steps may be applicable - so it’s worth testing after each step.
Check WiFi and Firewalls
- Ensure that your device and your laptop are on the same wifi network.
- Install .NET Framework 4.7 or above (download) and restart.
- Check if Fologram is being blocked by your Windows firewall. To verify this, disable your Windows firewall (and importantly any supplementary antivirus software such as McAfee), restart your PC and Fologram, and try to reconnect.
If this solves your issue, you can add a singular exception for Rhino (requires administrator permissions) in your Windows Defender Firewall and any third party tools.
- Go to: Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Defender Firewall\Allowed apps
- Scroll down to Rhino (5, 6, 7, etc.)
- Click Change settings
- Remove all instances of Rhino (5, 6, 7, etc.)
- Click OK and restart Rhino.
- Launch Fologram and click “Add a Device”
- Enable Private, Public (and if applicable, Domain) and click “Allow Access”.
If issues persist:
- Disable any third-party firewall software (e.g. McAfee)
- Disable any supplementary networks:
- Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections
- Click Change Adapter Settings
- Disable any networks that aren’t connected to the same network as the HoloLens or mobile device
- Restart your HoloLens or mobile and PC and try again.
Connecting with a personal hotspot
- Fologram works on personal hotspots. This is a convenient way to create ad-hoc networks in locations without needing to connect to a secured WiFi network.
- Create a hotspot on your mobile device. You may optionally set a password for the network.
- Connect your PC and your mobile to the network, restart Rhino and Fologram and reconnect.
Note: You may wish to disable mobile data whilst using the hotspot, or mark it as a metered connection in Windows to stop background synchronization tasks.
Further note: You can use your mobile hotspot whilst also using your phone. Just click ‘ignore’ on the wifi warning message when you launch Fologram for Mobile
Connecting with an offline router
- Fologram does not require a continuous internet connection. You can set up a wireless router without internet, connect your PC and your mobile, and get started right away.
Virtual machines are not currently supported. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if this feature is important to you.
Virtual Private Networks (VPN)
VPNs are not currently supported. Please contact email@example.com if this feature is important to you.