Group D_Hololens Video

Hi Gwyll,

The attached link is our complied Hololens Recordings Test. Looking forward to the next step!

Best,
Toby

Hey @Toby

Awesome - thanks so much for sharing this, it’s exactly what I need to provide you with some good feedback. So, things to do to improve your setup:

1. Turn off the hololens hand mesh from the settings so it isn’t distracting.
  2. Because you have some quite smooth curves in your design, use the MeshPipe component in grasshopper to mesh them and then stream the meshes - this will give you control over the curve resolution and remove the facets that we see here.
  3. It’s great to see you’re working with a QR code, but this isn’t attached to the piece you are fabricating so if you bump the physical piece, it will push it out of alignment with the hologram. You should attach both the physical piece and the QR code to a solid base material - e.g. a piece of MDF or ply.
  4. You should work at bench height so you can actually move around the piece. Working on the floor means you are constrained to look at the object almost entirely top-down, making it pretty much impossible to judge the exact 3D shape of these curves.

Three different ideas that could improve your fabrication approach:

1. These curves are really complex (multiple 3D bends) - so you probably want to try to make them using a bench mounted bender where you can ensure that the part remains fixed in place while you produce each bend. With your current method, bending the piece pushes the rest of the part out of alignment (introducing errors).
  2. If you want to continue exploring the method of bending in-situ, then I suspect it will be important to get the end of the part securely anchored so that you’re able to work on one bend at a time. I also suspect you would need a torch or some way of making the metal much softer (like I used with the chair project I’ve showed before) as this is a way of keeping the part stiff while still being able to work it into shape. My thought is that if you want to go with in-situ assembly then you should consider using Styrene as the material instead. However I suspect that this is still going to be difficult because your unbent stock material will collide with other parts of your assembly, so a lot of careful planning will be required to get the fabrication sequence right.
  3. It looks like the hand bending method is introducing a lot of kinks into the parts - so the third idea would be to prefab each part but rather than using a bench mounted bender, you use a jig (e.g. a bit of pvc pipe etc) that you can bend the pieces over so you have more control over the bend radius and avoid kinks. If you pursue this method, then you will probably need to simplify your parts as there are a lot of bends and getting this right without accumulative error will be tricky.
1 Like

Thank you for these helpful tips! we appreciate it :slight_smile:

No worries, also check out the General notes from Week 8