James Piccone Task 1&2

I was looking at fabrication directly from stock materials, specifically wire sculptures as well as bent and welded steel rods.

Gomli–Bent and welded steel rods

Here are some Fologram demonstrations of my approximation of the wrapped wire sculpture of the motorcycle attached above.

Hey @james_piccone

Nice work with the precedent research, these wound sculptures are an interesting technique. I wonder how this approach would work if there was no underlying wrapped object? The coiling reminds me of Lucy’s work though she generally creates more complex coiling patterns by wrapping a minimal scaffold and providing a lot more freedom for form to emerge. You can find some work-in-progress pics on her instagram:

In terms of the fabrication instructions, if you were to try to very precisely follow the shape of each individual loop/part using a hologram you would need to ensure that there is a lot of tolerance (gaps) between each of these parts in order to avoid accumulative error. Inevitably each part will be slightly different to the digital model, so if parts need to sit flush with one another even a very small deviation will lead to very large differences between the as built and digital model over time.

To overcome this, you could use the surface model as a guide and leave the shape of the coil up to the fabricator. Or, if the pattern of the coil was a critical part of the design, you could describe this pattern as a field that informs the approximate shape and directionality of the coil without explicitly describing the geometry of any individual part. These are also easier to model digitally.

If you did want to digitally model the coils themselves you could probably do this with a physics solver (kangaroo) where you set up goals that attract the coil to an underlying mesh representing the overall design intent, while repelling the coils from one another and trying to align them to a vector field that describes the desired coil pattern.