Learn how to create an interactive extruded grid pattern in mixed reality with Fologram

Get the example: 2.11_ExtrusionAttractor.gh (11.3 KB)

Create an interactive extruded grid pattern that responds to height in grasshopper. This simple example is perfect for beginner grasshopper users wanting to learn the basics of Fologram, and can be used as a template to experiment with interactive attractors in mixed reality to affect geometry, materials, scale, rotation and more.

This example creates a parametric relationship between the height of the grid extrusion and an interactive sphere as it is moved in mixed reality. Cell sizes and quantity of the grid are synchronised to give you full control in Fologram.

Like this example? Try using the sphere position to control other parameters in the definition or with different patterns, apply the pattern to a facade, or check out our article ‘Did you know you can make a fading grid pattern with basic materials in Fologram?’ example to learn more!

Thank you for the great examples. I have used fologram for mobile before, and I am using it again now with my students in a design studio. I encountered problems with dragging such a „moveable“ sphere on the smartphone screen. It used to work sometimes - but simetimes the same file did not work. Do you have any suggestions how that could be fixed? Is that maybe an issue of scale? Thank you!

Hi @Renate can you send through the exact grasshopper definition you’re using and I will take a look?

Most likely if the dragging isn’t working it would be because either the sphere is too small and Fologram is detecting the tap on something else, or the parametric model is too slow and the interaction is taking a while to buffer before any changes are visible in AR.