Shadows on ground or invisible surfaces?

Hello,
I seem to remember last summer that when a model was shown on the Fologram mobile app beta version, it cast shadows on the xy plane, despite there being no geometry drawn in Rhino to cast onto. This worked really well to make objects appear to sit on the ground or desk. I haven’t been able to get this to work recently. Shadows On seems to only cast onto geometry that is being displayed, and even then won’t cast onto geometry with any translucency. Can you cast onto occluded geometry? Is there a current way to get shadows to display onto “invisible” surfaces, so they seem to show up on desk/ground, etc?

Thanks!

Hi @erb02, thanks for getting in touch. The shadow display from objects onto the XY plane was removed after considering user feedback. As Fologram is mainly used for fabrication and overlaying physical objects, the general feedback we received was that the shadows were interfering with the overlay, so it was decided to remove the feature from the platform.

I see. Since you can toggle shadows on/off, perhaps an xy plane option can also be turned on/off, or provide some way to allow this. Particularly on the phone app, because most aren’t using the phone app for fabrication. My main interest in the platform is for fabrication as well, but I can’t underplay how useful it’s been in showing initial concepts to clients as well as having students envision their designs spatially. As mentioned before, shadows disappear with even the slightest opacity change, so if shadows displayed with opacity, then that could be one way around. Are there others? Running a definition that approximates shadows as GH derived geometry seems the only option currently… It would be wonderful if shadows could be displayed onto occlusion geometry as well.

Please bring this feature back.

Hi @erb02 ,

Sounds like a bug if shadows aren’t displayed at all even with 99% opacity, we will definitely fix this.

How about the idea of a shadow material property that is set in the same way as outlines and occlusion? This would enable you to have shadows on occlusion geometry (which would be nice in the scenario where the occlusion geometry is supposed to represent a physical object) without forcing them on all the time.

That sounds perfect, @Gwyll

Cool, I’ve added it as a request and will let you know once we have something implemented.

How is everything going with the studio?

Going well! This one is just a class, so we move a bit slower. Students are having fun and getting into the series of experiments I’ve set out for them. We’re just starting to consider using AR for fabrication. Hopefully I can run a full studio with this sometime soon.

I do have a project beginning that I believe we’ll use AR to fabricate. Just kicking off in earnest, but we’ll get some funding for R+D then develop a permanent installation/structure. I’ll write an email and tell you more.

Thanks, would love to hear about it.

We recently posted a bunch of projects to #projects - this could be a good resource for students looking for ideas. We’re also happy to explain how they were done if useful.